Eating better food for less and other tales from a no-moneymoon

Monday, June 14, 2010

Saucy Sardines

For years I had a serious prejudice against sardines. The problem lay not in the fish, itself, but in the tin and its ubiquitous appearance in old cartoons and children's books as the perfect sized bed for a mouse. Am I the only one with this hang up? I suspect the answer is yes.

I even bought a tin, cleverly hidden in a regular old box, but nothing could get me to open that sucker. It lingered like a boat adrift on the vast horizon of my empty cabinet.

And then, Mr. Lemon and I started adhering more closely to The Fat Resistance Diet. I wasn't losing my heft fast enough in this balancing act of thrift-diet-comfort. More omega-3's were needed. And the answer was there the entire time.

That's right, I resorted to the lonely sardine tin, and it all turned out beautifully as a sauce for some slim leftover lasagna noodles.



Sardine Pasta Sauce

1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small onion, sliced
1 can sardines in marinara sauce
1 teaspoon capers
3-4 leaves rosemary
1 Tablespoon parsley

In a small saute pan, cook onion until softened and translucent. Add the can of sardines and their sauce and break up the sardines with a fork. Once the sardines have started to fall apart a bit, add the capers and rosemary. Just before serving, add the parsley. Serve over a small amount of pasta.

Tally:
Omega-3 packed protein at a low ($2.50) price
Quick, flavorful dinner with a few ingredients
Fears of mice popping out of tins, conquered!

No comments:

Post a Comment